"As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives."
Henry David Thoreau
Florent Grain, MSCP, LCPC. (He/Him/His)
I am an international trilingual (English, French and Spanish) clinical professional counselor who has studied and practiced for several years in the French and American community. I graduated from the university system of Maryland with a degree in counseling psychology, I also have a degree in psychology from France and gained experience in different areas (clinical, carceral, educational, addiction) during my time in both the United States and Europe.
My approach is direct, progressive, transparent, collaborative, accepting and reflects my experience working with a wide range of individuals from all over the world. Each person brings with them their own experiences and goals; therefore, I will use various clinical techniques to help achieve the desired results for each individual. I have experience in cognitive-behavioral therapy, mindfulness, motivational interviewing, interpersonal but also family system therapy and believe in therapy as a continuous learning process.
I strive to create a safe and non-judgmental space where everyone can explore a variety of topics and learn to celebrate their differences. I have enjoyed working with children/adolescents, adults and families while helping clients with a wide range of challenges such as anxiety, depression, ADHD, parenting, trauma, eating disorders and relationship problems.
A Little Bit More About Me --
Groups I vibe with:
- National Alliance on Mental Health
- The Trevor’s Project, LGBTQ association
- American Counseling Association
- American School Counseling Association
- International School Counseling Association
- Inclusive Therapists
I love working with all types of population from across the globe and will always strive to learn and challenge my conceptions. I do have slightly more knowledge about 10+ years old's and populations from Europe, the United States and Latin America.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Dialectical-Behavioral Therapy
- Person-centered approaches
- Family system therapy
- Solution focused therapy
- Psycho-Bio-Social model / Mind-body intervention
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Focused therapy
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy
Current Availability: Florent is accepting patients on a waitlist.
Service Platform: Florent is offering telehealth only.
- Master of Counseling Psychology
- Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor
- LGBTQ+ affirmative counseling
- Coping with the Anxiety and Stress of the Covid 19 Pandemic
- “Learning & the Brain: Social-Emotional Brains in Schools” - The Harvard Graduate School of Education.
- Parent-Child conflict training
- College-Counseling and Student Development : Stress and Anxiety
- Mandated Reporter, Abuse & Neglect training
- Managing Change & Reducing Stress - NAADAC
- The Body Keeps Score
- When Children Grieve
- This is Your Brain on Food
- Don’t Feed the Monkey Mind
- Why Marriages Succeed and Fail
- My Grandmother’s Hands
- The Misunderstood Child
Fun facts :
- I do all my online therapy sessions in pajamas (ok not that one.)
- I never eat sweet things before salty during meals.
- I make the funniest faces and voices.
- My ADD got my foot broken by a car while crossing a street and my leg stuck in a wall for an entire day of school.
Therapy Services and populations/dx you might refer out for :
- Actively psychotic population
- Actively suicidal/homicidal population
- Prolonged exposure therapy
- Intensive Trauma Focused therapy
- Applied Behavioral Analysis